Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Jane Austen

"but had I place to new fashion, I should not put myself into the hands of an improver.  I would rather have an inferior degree of beauty, of my own choice, and acquired progressively.  I would rather abide by my own blunders than by his."  (Obvious what Jane Austen thinks of this character!)
"YOU would know what you were about of course--but that would not suit ME.  I have no eye or ingenuity for such matters, but as they are before me; and had I a place of my own in the country, I should be most thankful to any Mr. Repton who would undertake it, and give me as much beauty as he could for my money; and I should never look at it, till it was complete."   (And we know what Jane Austen thinks of this character!)
.
From, Mansfield Park, by Jane Austen
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
The flower?  In my winter garden.  Living history.  A camellia of course.

1 comment:

Michael Robinson said...

As a planned and deliberate 'improver' my own nom-de- jardain has to be 'Incompetence' Robinson. Far too much rests on factors outside my control ...