Thursday, October 18, 2012

Interior Decorating for Ornery Client

After his garden he asked for a guest bedroom.  He had parameters, "Use the furniture I own & leftover paint from the garage."  I told him what I would do, he wanted none of it.  


 Mixed Benjamin Moore Philadelphia Creme with York Harbor, resulting in a pale ocher/yellow.  The room has to be simple, its bed already a focal point.  Wow, was he verbal during set-up.  All negative.  He was asked to step away until called for.


Burlap draperies, cane chair, & thrift store lamps were my only additions.  From the hall, he didn't step far, I could hear his continuing demands.  (Whatever.  I knew what was to be done.)
.
Finally, he was called into the room.  He stood there, silent.  Looking.  He teared up, and hugged me.  This is his beloved grandmother's furniture.  I got it right.
.
Garden & Be Well,      XO Tara
.
Pics taken this month on site.  This is the type of 'interior decorating' I do.  When it's using furniture already owned and there is little money.  I know where this room is truly going, very Eleanor-Roosevelt-at-Val-Kill. The entire time Mr. Negative was talking to me I was smiling at him.  So glad I'm over 50!  Younger, I would have tried pleasing his lizard brain.  Instead, my work is done for the grace of the soul.
.
By-the-way.  Same scenario in his garden.  He had a collection of hodge podge plants.  Didn't like a thing I said about placement.  Once done he said, "This is exactly what I was going to do."  Pics of that later, when plants are bigger.

12 comments:

Connie in Hartwood said...

I can absolutely picture you ignoring his negative comments and going about your business fulfilling your vision for the space ... and the mental image makes me smile. What a beautiful space it turned out to be!

Lynne said...

Pure grace and brilliant.
I felt what he felt.
~Lynne
w/L.

Cyndia said...

And were you ever once tempted to thump him over the head?
Can't stand it when folks hire you to do something and then won't relinquish control. He should have known better!

My Life of Domestic Bliss said...

Tara, Brilliant!
Lisa

Kathy said...

So lovely!
You are gifted with interior and exterior decor!
I'm also delighted to know you are over 50! Ha! I had always wondered approx how old you are.
I wish you lived closer, I would have you help me with interior and exterior decor.

Anonymous said...

Brava, Tara!!! So simple, so elegant. Love this! Best. Ellen

Bruce Barone said...

love you and thanks for the inspiration

Anonymous said...

This is the best thing I have ever heard!

Who was the "lion tamer" who kept him at bay?

You are brilliant, you know, and your heart is so big it finds things others would miss!

A lovely story; truly lovely. Sadly, few would have forged on! Sounds like a "Yankee"; even a "Northern Yankee"! (Maine maybe?)

I am afraid I wouldn't have made it past the "use the paint I have left over"!

People like this often chase joy out of their lives and away from them! Glad you persevered!

Is he a relative?????

Brava!!

You be proud!!

Anonymous said...

I meant he would have lost me at "leftover paint from the garage!"

Lordy!

Anonymous said...

ps.

I hope you will tell "Kathy" that you don't have to "live closer" ! You can do it via the internet! I KNOW you can!

bec said...

Way to stand your ground!
I think I would have crumbled into a pile of self doubt!
Bec x

pve design said...

lovely. If you were here and hired by me, I would give you full and total creative license. The chairs, the curtains - I would cry too.
ah.
pve