Monday, December 17, 2012

Choosing Chairs


A small flagstone terrace is almost complete at my new French doors in the kitchen.  Need to order the Phantom screen doors this week.  


All this for a pair of garden chairs to USE.  Adirondack's, above, are too big.  French chairs, below, have no support for leaning my head back.


The new chairs must be easy to move and a lot of the time I'll be working wireless with my feet up in the opposite chair.
.
On the hunt for MY perfect pair of garden chairs.  Life is good.
.
Does anyone know how to keep cats from climbing retractable screen doors?
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
Project began December 2011 when my dad was diagnosed with cancer & died 22 days later.  During those 22 days my 30 year marriage was finalized in divorce.  'Planned' for last Christmas was installation of new heart of pine flooring in several rooms to match the rest of my home.  Existing flooring was refinished, all furniture, including office, was put into the garage.  To the ceiling.  I bought my own home late this fall.    That was the fear of divorcing, losing home/garden.  FEAR.  Instead, Providence deflated the housing market!  Did I mention I was afraid of losing my home of 28 years?  He, college sweetheart, began having car wrecks, most drunks do, in 2010.  One nite late, reading in bed, days after I discovered the 1st car wreck via my insurance company, I felt & knew something quite clear.  Fear had left.  After a decade+ of pure, daily, second to second fear, it was gone.  Time to divorce.  His alcoholism took me to poverty in 1999, I barely kept the roof over our heads.  Been a victim?  It stinks.  Took less than a month to figure that out.  Discovered Lois in a group meeting for friends/family of alcoholics.  Victimhood over.  Survivor.  But that wasn't enough.  Thriver.  Yes.  In a delightful twist my divorce attorney hired me recently.  Handing me a check she stopped in mid-air & began to cry.  She said it was not often she was able to see the results of her work & described my demeanor of fear/sadness when we 1st met in her office to what she had seen of me in her garden.  Teary eyed myself  & hugging each other, I thanked her for helping me divorce a 300 pound drinking problem!  We were laughing thru tears at this point, and aren't those the best?  Proudest achievements?  Financially doing all of this myself, no help, none.  Divorce was amicable.  Making the choice to be happy everyday.  'Damaged people are dangerous, they know they can survive.'  I'm super dangerous, I can thrive.            
.
Top pic taken in my garden!  Proof, happiness/joy can be created, and more, a zone of grace around home & life.

20 comments:

Maire said...

Hey Tara. Glad to hear you are doing well. Do you remember my two old wicker chairs in the garden spot in Athens?? Wing-back-ish. You told me to put one at my feet for napping. They are easy to move, cheap at antique stores, and with cushions (or old down pillows) they can be very comfy and colorful. They could be interim solutions, or the final solution.

Connie Morelle said...


You, and your story, are inspiring. As you, and your garden, have inspired me over the years.

Love and hugs!

Charlotte said...

Thank you for sharing...I am sure it will help others in their life's journey. Be very PROUD of what you have accomplished. You deserve the BEST.

Thank you for you blog, I discovered it a year ago and devoured all your posts going back to the beginning. I read many of the books that you love. I have learned so much; as a result my garden brings me more joy.

Karla said...

I've never commented before; just have to let you know how much I admire your courage, talent, work, and sharing.

elle said...

Bless you. So nice to hear a happy ending. Live dangerously! :)

Anonymous said...

Sadly amidst so much beauty, life can be so hard. I do admire you for taking control of your life and making it good again. I was widowed 12 years ago and finally after so many years, stood back in amazement at the survival and human spirit that is in all of us that makes us pick up the pieces and go on. You qualify.

FlowerLady Lorraine said...

Thank you for sharing your story, and I'm glad you not only survived, but thrived.

Those retractable screens look great. I followed your link.

Hope you find the chairs just right for your need.

FlowerLady

Connie in Hartwood said...

So much wisdom and hope in such an inspiring paragraph!! Tara, my dear, have the happiest of holidays!

Nella Miller said...

Dear Tara, you are caring, bright , witty, but above all very courageous....I wish you a blessed and happy Christmas. I love reading your blog, so happy I found it ! N.xo

Anonymous said...

Dear, dear Tara, I am so proud of you and proud to call you a friend of 20 years (yes 20!) I knew you before and have admired your courage to face incredible obstacles and OVERCOME them. You are a THRIVER!! Happy Holidays, keep up all the good work.
xoxo

luise h. said...

The sound you hear is me applauding. I know what it means to survive and thrive. And yes, days are mostly happy now :-)

David C. said...

Sure helps me look at the big picture, and even be thankful that I don't have some things I also don't want. Thrive on, by all those camellias that I hope to see before I die!

Renae Moore said...

Tara,
Good for you Girl..for surviving, for thriving. I knew that one day I met you, you were something special. I learned things from you that day that I have not forgotten...vanishing thresholds. Be well friend.
xx

susan said...

Love your blog. Love your story. Am uplifted. Feel stronger reading about your strength...

Merry Christmas!

sugarcreek said...

Inspiring words...so glad you never gave up. We have a retractable door but our cats don't have their front claws. Maybe one of those garden cat sprays? Or make your own w/red pepper or cayenne pepper. If you spray it for a few days the cats might learn to stay away. We had house guests who brought their geriatric dog with them. As a good hostess I let the dogs out early one morning. The dogs did their biz then shambled back to the front door. Our dog always sits to come in. But not their old dog. It went from slow amble to barreling charge...right thru the screen door! I quietly removed the wrecked screen and made some extra strong coffee. Oh we'll.

Cyndia said...

Tara, you inspire me. I made my own journey of escape to survival (30+ years ago) but it took me longer than that to reach thriving stage. Now I'm there, and Lawsy me, ain't it good?
As always, you move me to joyful tears.

Anonymous said...

It is the rare instance that I will post a comment. Your post is one of those rare instances. Thank you for your "authenticness". It is your treasured gift to us that we celebrate.

Barbara Pilcher said...

Now I know why you are such an empowered woman. Adversity will do that. You have my admiration. Many have buckled under these circumstances. You're an inspiration. Thank you for showing us a slice of your life.

Deborah Silver said...

Tara, this is a very intense and personal post-awesome, striking,and forthcomning-every bit of it. Loved every word, and every thought. Godspeed, my friend. Deborah

Lydia said...

Merry Christmas. May God's grace shine on through next year.