Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Garden Design: Aging in Place

Keep- it- Simple- Sweetie works, every time.
.
Perhaps my Garden Design rule breaker, Overdose- on- a- Theme, is how you want to garden design, in spots, instead.


If this were the only garden space, above, I had until age 89 it would be my life's goal/mission to be the sole soul maintaining this sweet garden.
.
Why?  Means I would be climbing a ladder to clip the espalier fruit tree or gather fruit, in season.  Oh my, the joy of clipping the low hedge and spiral.  Puttering about with the pots, bulbs, mentally deciding thru the years how to out-perform the previous year/s in fabulosity.
.
If this little garden design did need a hired helper it merely needs unskilled labor twice a year.
.
 Beautiful, low maintenance, mentally stimulating through the years, no chemicals or watering needed, fruit to eat, turn into jam or give away.
.
These little doorway gardens are quite common in historic gardens across Europe.  History is the best teacher.
.
Lawn with foundation plantings, fertilizer, insecticides, pre-emergents, and a plop of colorful annuals twice each year?  Mr. Mow-Blow-Go-Commodify-All-I-Touch on contract to arrive weekly?
.
Not for me.  Mentally & spiritually soul crushing along with being bad for my physical well being.
.
Aging in Place.  Make the choice in your garden for type of garden design, the beauty, mental paths and joy in the maintenance whether you do it, or a helper.  Take the joy.  Joy, it's always there, whether you think so or not.  Take joy, Tasha Tudor's favorite saying.
.
Garden & Be Well,    XO Tara
.
For a beautiful garden & home filling you with joy, become my client, local/on-line.
.
Award winning speaker, hire me for your group, local/out-of-state.
                                                                                 .
Books by Tara Dillard, Amazon
.
Tara Dillard & Associates Design: farm to city pied-a-terre.
.
Construction by Award Winning
Shaefer Heard Construction, licensed home-builder, renovation - new construction.  Heard's Landscaping a unit of SHC.  3 decades of service.

3 comments:

Lori Buff said...

Not to mention the harm that gas powered lawn mower does to the air.

LPC said...

Oh I cannot agree more! The lawn and annuals, they excoriate my soul. I embrace decay, and new growth, and full flower. Have you ever seen the flower designs from Sarah at Saipua? She has made an art out of this same principle, for cut flowers. I love your blog and your thoughts Tara - I am trying to export the ideas to my backyard in Northern California.

Anonymous said...

I adore your suggestions!

I do not allow any power anything here in this nature sanctuary....hand-pruning....no blowers....no nothing that makes noise!

they all think I am crazy.....do I care?

Right now our pond is being lined....how hard was it to find the guy without any "bulldozers?" HARD!

We did!
I love your blog; beyond!!!