Monday, April 20, 2015

Garden Sanctuary: Tabernacle

I planted Chinese Snowball, Viburnum macrocephalum, for the blooms.  Below, in my garden yesterday.
.
Instead, discovered Chinese snowball is a top member of the Ministry of Stewardship.


A small garden, Chinese Snowball was pruned into a tree.  Who knew a bare multi-trunked tree with canopy on top is prime location for song birds to rest from predators, bring their lunch, and a place for my painter to sit & smoke cigarettes on hot Southern summer days, some times my choice of office for making calls?


This, above/below, is why to have a garden.  Reminds me of doing math homework in high school.  Every other problem had the answer in the back of the book, letting you know you've done a multi-stepped task right.    One of my chief delights, and accomplishments, on this Earth, is what has been done in my garden with Chinese Snowball.  And I didn't do it, Providence did.
 

Subsidiary focal points, above/below, graced.


Selfish, adoring my first Chinese snowball, I planted another, below.  Shot this one while standing in the street.

At her feet, the potager, below.  Is there one word encompassing the few moments a tree has as many blossoms on her arms as at her feet?  Is this my tabernacle, given by Providence?   Ruth always said something provocative in spirit when she shared at meetings for friends/families of alcoholics.  And, invariable at every meeting for years, she spilled her cup of coffee.  Elderly, of little breath, it was a delight every time those nearest rushed in to help.  Total feminine power, but barely enough strength/air to walk.  
.
Ruth's funeral was standing room only at her little Southern Baptist church in a field, 1950's long low rectangular, red brick construction.  Seated near the front, with a meadow view, tears, and the preacher droning.  Alone in grief, until he said something riveting.  Ruth's body was a tabernacle.  Now, that was a curious thing, and I had zero idea what he meant.  I looked it up.  Not my job to tell you what it meant, it's for you to look up and know it from your spirit.  (Blessedly have my inherited unabridged Webster's 10" thick, don't you?)
.
  How did Nature become so dissected from the bible?  These moments of petals, throughout the year, with various shrubs/trees/groundcovers, are all tabernacle moments.  A Life force beyond my skills/knowledge/efforts.  Humbling.  In this beauty, death, regeneration, Providence skips merrily, the next day always another tabernacle.  


Leaving the street, and stepping into my garden, below.


Look closely, below, at that window.  It is my office window.  When the Chinese snowball is well finished 'tabernacling' the tree beside it, Crape Myrtle will begin bloom.


My lot is 8500sf, a lot less than a quarter acre.  Do you sense this?  Neither do I.  In the public realm, below, of my garden, do you see that many houses nearby  Neither do I, they are there, and this is reality, as is the tabernacle.  I built it.  My intention?  No clue.  Providence found me.


After much thought, years, I figured out why my garden lives so big, it's the sky, above, I own it.


My garden frames the sky, and in return Providence gave it entirely to me.  A gift you can take for yourself.  It's Tasha Tudor's favorite line of poetry, "...Take joy"  
.
Garden & Be Well,      XO Tara
.
Took these pics without my glasses.
.
Shooting my office window, I began to tear, but quickly remembered a friend's wisdom, "Make no major decisions after dusk and before dawn."  Moving, leaving my garden is rending my heart.  During the day I'm so excited about my new garden, at nite the chattering monkeys in my head.  Tearing up shooting the pic, no energy for another crying jag, I realized it was moments after dusk, and I would ignore the urge, did, and laughed.  


6 comments:

La Contessa said...

TAKE JOY is RIGHT!I loved TASHA TUDOR and have ALL her books!The snowball tree is MAGNIFICENT!
I too have two of these trees not as BIG as yours but TWO!Actaully, I have FOUR I planted TWO more last year!!!!
XO

Nita Stacy said...

Loved this post! I adore snowball bushes and planted one at my last house. No spot for one here. Did I read you are leaving your house and garden? I missed that...I'll have to go through old posts. I've been busy at a new job and not much time for reading blogs. I'll be going through your old posts now...I love these photos of your snowball bush and all the snow fallen below.

Nita Stacy said...

So glad you told us to look up tabernacle ourselves...of course I thought it a place to worship. But oh...the body is a tabernacle. Love that.

Anonymous said...

Tara,
My head tells me to leave my declining neighborhood after 36 years. My heart tells me I simply cannot leave my beautiful, peaceful garden. It depends on me, as I depend on it. Such a difficult decision.....what to do? I wish you strength and grace in your move.

LPC said...

Truely lovely, Tara. In words and images.

Dewena said...

Tara, I have worked my way back through these last 3 posts that I missed and they just keep getting better. I collect old dictionaries and have them open in most rooms. I'll have to consult them because like Nita I thought I knew tabernacle.

These surely must have been days of such varied emotions, looking forward to a new garden, missing future years in this one. It cannot be easy.

I wish so much we had planted a snowball here years ago but I see them as I pass old farmhouses on our street, in full bloom as we passed them yesterday. Two weekends ago the white crabapple outside my dressing room window was in peak bloom and a few days later a carpet of white below. I ironed in front of the widow for an hour, just looking at it.

I'm thankful for your posts. I learn so much but many of them also squeeze my heart.