Friday, May 20, 2016

Window View is Your Life View

“The Soul selects her own Society.” 
― Emily DickinsonThe Complete Poems
.
Inside/outside narrative.  Vanishing Threshold, below.
.
Recognize her window?  Emily Dickinson.  A recreation at New York Botanical Garden.

This is the view from the Homestead, the poet Emily Dickinson's home, recreated as part of an exhibit about her gardens at the New York Botanical Garden in the Bronx. It's a lovely exhibit, interspersing her poetry, much of which was inspired by nature, with flowers and plants.:
.
Pic, above, here.
.
A salesman called, about 15 years ago, selling vinyl double paned windows.  "How could Emily Dickinson have written her poetry with those windows?", I asked.
.
Now, the science & math are available for keeping historic windows vs. replacing with new double paned windows.  Adding storm windows to historic windows creates less energy loss.  Greater money savings.
.
Alas, the divide of souls knowing this inherently in their DNA vs. those who will never get it, is well beyond to the moon & back.
.
Young man selling the vinyl double paned windows?  He did pause.  Then resumed his scripted sales pitch.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO T

8 comments:

Divine Theatre said...

Reminds me of when the newspaper salesmen call. I tell them I don't read fiction. Same response. LOL!

xo

Andie

Unknown said...

Contented sigh.


And yet.

And yet the Master Gardeners will say to not plant hydrangeas so close to the home's foundation because they die back and are twiggy and ugly.

Perhaps the landscape is suppose to look a big forlorn during the winter? Yes - I think that's it!

Jennifer said...

Inspiration of the finest sort! Love this!

laney said...

...emily knew everything...blessings...laney

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Emily and I would have been fast friends, I do believe. When people don't understand why I live behind locked gates, I have a rather good idea they wouldn't be my clan...smile. Tara, we put storm windows and doors on this house, keeping the 9x3 foot windows with the wavy glass. Dave had a 'golden mean' sunroom added with 5x4 foot windows whose views bless my soul on a daily basis.
There are those for whom a newly built house is perfect. I am not one of those.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Emily and I would have been fast friends. When people ask why I live behind a locked gate, I move on from those people. Our 9x3 feet wavy glass windows have storms on them; we NEVER considered replacement windows. Our 'golden mean' sun room has 5x4 feet (foot?) windows and the view daily soothes my wounded soul and heart.

martamag said...

Wow! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate your great work. Thanks for sharing. Keep me more update in future.

Landscaping ideas for small yards
Landscaping with Succulents
Water Wise Gardening California