Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Copying a Simple Historic Garden

Great minds, or, so much for original thinking?
.
First, below, I noticed the rusticity, my oeuvre.
.
Then searched the enfilade, how far can the eye travel?  Are there cross axis, below?
.
Oddly, I sense the loss of canopy, below.  Seeing what isn't there, but had been there for many years.
.
Do you see the missing trees too?
.
Finally, oh my gosh, design plan, almost exactly, for my new home, a ca. 1900 American farmhouse.
.
Ironic, at the front end of my career I was far too 'good/smart/unique' for a design like this, below. Me be ubiquitous, by choice?
.
3 decades later, humble enough, and excited, to copy what has worked since before Christ's era, BCE.
.
My iteration, George Lindsey Tabor azaleas, deer don't seem to bother Southern Indica azaleas so very much, and fruit trees, along with yet-to-be-determined trees.  Of course I could go ahead and choose all the trees, but what fun, contemplating choices.
.
Instead of the water feature focal point, below, a harvest table/chairs, under an arbor, gobsmacked with white roses, 4 huge pots exploding with hydrangea, and 4 sentinels, camellias, at the far corners, beyond the Tabors.  Coming home to my first trinity, created 3 decades ago, Tara's Trinity of the Southern Garden: Azaleas, Hydrangeas, Camellias.
.
Paths will be #89 granite gravel, the quarry a mile from home.
.
Why so simple?  Age.  Preparing to be elderly in this home, wanting this garden to see-me-out.  Deer proof, drought proof, bug/fungal proof, unskilled labor proof, enjoyment vs. labor percentage totally in my favor, most importantly, beautiful.  A garden to be viewed from the house, and to be enjoyed within.
.
More amazing, date of the garden, below, is the era of our farmhouse.
.
Boxwood not included in my garden, alas the killing fungus.

Colonial Gardens full ,nypl.digitalcollections.510d47d9-a7ba-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99.001.w-3

Pic, above, here.
.
Do not be afraid to copy.  Fact, copying is unique at each site.  Another fact, if it's pretty in another garden, it will be pretty in yours.  Last fact, gardening is recorded in written form for over 11,000 years, you will not recreate the wheel, roll with it.  Cheaper, faster, prettier to roll with it.  I got the memo, go me.  Younger, that memo was stupid & not meant for fabulous me.  How do you think I became a Garden Expert?  Made all the mistakes bigger & more thoroughly than you could ever imagine.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO T

1 comment:

Karen said...

Ha! You're so funny! Seriously, though, it sounds wonderful. I like the idea of the garden that "sees you out". That's what I'm looking for too.