Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Furniture in the Garden

First seeing Agatha Christie murder mysteries on tv, ca. 1980, I was captivated with scenes of furniture on the lawn.  What motive could possibly force any sane person without a staff to move furniture to the lawn, whence it must be removed, to mow?  I wanted that life, the life not worried about later mowing.
.
Fine tuning the desire for furniture in the garden, further, I adore furniture in the garden, after a soiree.  Even if it's merely for 2.
.
Furniture, in the garden, after a soiree, cannot lie.  I like the stories furniture in a garden tell.
.
Story, below, is a bit boring.  Staged for the photo.  Details extravagantly interesting, below, glad to be learning from the shot, but more interested in the 'after' story.  Hope there really were 4 people about to enjoy the cake and conversation.  If so, that's the picture I want to see, when they are done, when they are gone, and before anything has been cleared and all the furniture a tableau of their time.
.
Why does this matter?  More than a beautiful garden, I want to live beautifully in & with my garden.  Beautiful gardens must be form and function.

The Grey Manoir:

Pic, above, here.
.
Still awaiting the arrival of my harvest table for the garden.  Its first afternoon will probably see 2 cats atop it, leisurely bathing.  Bought a set of 6 vintage tumblers last week, not thinking of this pic.  Indeed, they will look good on my new harvest table.  6 for $10 and the antique booth was having a 40% off sale.  Would have paid $10 each they are so perfect for our ca. 1900 farmhouse.
.
What does your garden furniture say?
.
Garden & Be Well,    XOT

1 comment:

Lydia said...

My garden furniture is screaming for updates.