Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Versatility: French Rain Barrel

When Smith & Hawken had its going-out-of-business sale at its Atlanta store, I had the good fortune to be there shopping with a client.  Little realizing ahead of time, I'd be purchasing things too.
.
Ahead of moving from my 30 year home/garden I took 18 van loads to the thrift store.  My house sold within 24 hrs of listing and there was zero time for another choice.  Once in our new home, ca. 1900 American farmhouse, it became apparent much of my cottage garden 'stuff', thought to be so worthy ahead of the move, would not 'work' in the new setting.  Yep, that was a 'moment'.
.
A couple of months in the new house, Beloved had his largest work truck, large bed/tall sides, and team of men on site.  Unexpectedly he said I could have the men/truck for a couple of hours.  Code language, get rid of your stuff.  Now.
.
Six work ready men, felt like I had just stepped into a fire ant pile, and could not point to stuff fast enough as they were scurrying and pulling things for the truck.  2 rounded loads taken to the thrift store.  I did manage to think quickly enough for one of my clients, and saved some things for her.
.
Everything purchased that day at Smith & Hawken remained.  Not a conscious choice, the clearing of stuff was too fast for proper editing.  One of the Smith & Hawken items, a galvanized French rain barrel.
.
In my cottage garden I used it as a rain barrel, and later, turned upside down, a table.
.
In our farmhouse, currently, the French rain barrel is on it side, wedged not to roll in the seat of a teak bench, used as a Cat House at the back door.  With a cushion inside they love it in winter, and it's a shelter against the rain the rest of the year.   Not a use anticipated when purchased.
.
Amazed at the versatility of the French rain barrel, have yet to use it as a planter, below.  More, it made the aesthetic transition from Cottage Garden to Historic Farmhouse garden.
.
Why didn't I buy more than one ?

My French Country Home, French Living - Page 8 of 311 - Sharon SANTONI:

Pic, above, here.
.
Great enfilade, above.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO T
.
Smith & Hawken currently sells online via Target.  Hardly a hint of their 1st incarnation yet they may have that perfect xyz for you too.  No, this is not a paid endorsement.

3 comments:

Vera said...

Ah yes! We moved into an old farmhouse 6 years ago, the end of January/first part of February. Cold & wet. Young folks who love us dearly moved yard stuff to the farmhouse. And rocks. Tons and tons of rocks/boulders. Fortunately the rocks work here at this place. But much of the other stuff just doesn't work and it junks up the yard.

I need a big truck with strong men! :)

Penelope Bianchi said...

Absolutely brilliant. Only description applicable. Absolutely brilliant!

Jean Campbell said...

Cat Hut. Ours was a large drawer from an old kitchen cabinet. Do what works.