Thursday, October 27, 2016

Simplicity of Narrative

Last question, finishing a Garden Design, What can I take out and it holds together?
.
There is so little here, below.  Yet overwhelmed in layers of narrative.  I see a story/stories, below, you must, too.
.
Not, simple-gardens-are-the-best, it is simple gardens including narratives of classic aesthetics across the ages, tied to the life of their home's interior, and owner, with an ease of maintenance, those are the gardens lasting centuries.

new orleans by laura stefan.:
Pic, above, here.
.
Front door, above, reminds me of a story I was told by a friend, decades ago, in Savannah, GA.  The story teller lived in the historic district.  The story told happened ca. 1950'ish.  An elderly widow lived in elegant deep decay in a large historic mansion.  Her handy-man, an African-American, took care of her, the house, garden, and it was well known he brought her food from one of the best restaurants, he waited tables there several nights a week.
.
More, they lived outwardly their proscribed rolls. Yet, within her home they were lovers, in a committed relationship.  Further, the city knew, yet lived the lie.  Protecting both, beloved members of their community.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO T
.
The lady in the story, born 19th century, lived the story in 20th century, I'm telling you in the 21st century.  Her home still standing.

6 comments:

Dewena said...

Hello Tara,
My folder of many Tara posts that I've printed out has gotten me through hours of missing home this past summer. No longer a gardener at all except for pots of herbs, I love the narrative of your writings.

In plans to move back home, I'm hoping so much for a house and yard with a story. Thought I'd found one, counted on it but it was snapped up. It was a 1957 ranch built of what I learned in researching was Roman brick, and it had had the same owner since built. Aqua tiled bathrooms intact, pale pink countertops in the kitchen of light oak cabinets, flowered pink and blue wallpaper on kitchen ceiling. Now that house had a story, I just knew. I hope whoever bought it loves it as much as I do and won't put granite and stainless in the kitchen.

Back to looking for another house and yard with a story and continuing to glean the posts from your archives!

Penelope Bianchi said...

I love that story. I bet her garden was great. I hope it is still standing....also. Love that porch. Simplicity is elegance......

Lovely!!

Thank you!

Penelope

Kay dancingbrushpainting.blogspot.com said...

Such a sweet story, Tara. Balm for my soul in this turbulent time. Much needed and appreciated!

Kay

Penelope Bianchi said...

Those stairs.....and the pale blue ceiling.....the shutters over the door......Perfect; if you ask me!!!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I'm of the opinion my business is my business and will never understand why others want to make it their business. To be sure, there would have been some who would have caused them hurt and pain...woe until them.

Summer said...

Cute post☺ Love the photo too♥