Thursday, September 21, 2017

Garden Design: A Color Rule

Crisp & tidy, below.
.
Whimsical.
.
Copying a seemingly staid Garden Design Rule.
.
What rule is that?
.
Mark D. Sikes: Chic People, Glamorous Places, Stylish Things
Pic, above, here.
.
Paint your garden furniture & accessories same color as your house trim/shutters.  Have loved this 'rule' for decades.
.
Here, they've done more than classically phone-it-in-garden-design.
.
They've let the color carry the weight of architecture.
.
Does your garden tell me who you are at the curb?  Check.
.
Is your garden so incredible I must go inside and see your home?  Check.
.
It's one thing to deeply, truly, adore a color.  Another, entirely, to wield that color across your realm.  No fear.  Life is short, wield your color.
.
Garden & Be Well,   XO Tara
.
Irma residue is almost put away on our property.  Living in our ca. 1900 home for 2 years, we've done little Garden Design, it's mostly roads/drainage/shed renovations/drilling a well/pond updating/clearing invasives etc.  My personal gardening consists of a pair of aloe plants in terra cotta, and an echeveria a friend gave me, repotted into terra cotta.  Three little souls in terra cotta.  Last weekend, watering my trio on the back deck, they did spend Irma inside the house, I noticed one of the aloe did not fit in its pot, it was dwarfed by its pot by .5" diameter.  Hmm.
.
Yard a debris field with fallen limbs, a new roof at the back of the house, lots of men covering ground here.  Hmm.  They are our men, all on our team.  Several employed by Beloved loooong time.  Hmm.  Thinking this one thru, my little aloe in its new pot.  If any of the men had broken the pot, I would have been told, "Miss Tara........"  Days pass.  Approached Beloved, on the deck, we were grilling dinner, "My aloe vera is in a new pot, and I know who did it."  He's looking at me all stoic, his Mona Lisa smile something his mom would recognize about age 6.  "You did it."  A day prior, I repotted that aloe vera into another terra cotta pot, an exact fit.  He looks at the pot, "If I had found a pot to fit, would you have known?",  "No.", "How did you know it was me?", "The men always tell me when something happens.",  "Hit it when I was blowing the deck.", "5 acres, loads of men, new roof, tree limbs, I'm a Garden Designer with 3 tiny potted plants to her name, you thought I might not notice?"
.
Why are these type of stories so deeply amusing?  He almost got away with it.  Would have been fine if he had....

5 comments:

Dewena said...

I'm chuckling at you two, always love your stories. And I stood my ground when we moved back to TN from FL last January, insisting on taking my huge bowl of prickly aloe, saying I was bringing it even if I had to hold it in my lap.

A fall project for me is to paint my porch chairs Nantucket green. Our shutters are blue but I hope to paint them green too next year, but in the meantime it may look a little odd.

Becky said...

Tara, what about matching the siding color if the trim is white? I have mossy/olive green siding with a warm white trim, and I would never want to paint the garden furniture/planters/accessories white. Is matching the siding color a possibility, or does that venture into the realm of "too much"? Or maybe a complementary shade of green?

Vera said...

Beautiful! I can see the Trinity here because of the different brick colors. How would this work on a painted house? Just two colors? No Trinity?

Thanks!

Vera

Vera said...

Oh duh - I guess the green shrubbery is the third part of the Trinity.

:)

Vera

PS - Feel free not to approve either of these comments!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Tara, such a sweet story about your Man and the pot. Full well you know the important things in life making you both blessed.